Saturday, January 26, 2013

Dirty Vee is Hesitating

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh75QDnS9Hc4lAIkcIG28aUGEOlvMKNWEuD4pXrEq1GVhJ2N3DzbwyoGB-JW-jCQdP90j3XiSaUH3__5tK8uafOe9iV0yU6tnsJiQ1q07T1vgXJxa46xdSv6AFT2_2cg77oGpJ9PvvMnI3K/s1152/PHOTO_20130126_172016.jpg

I am looking at replacing the throttle position sensor to try to resolve the hesitation the Vee is exhibiting now. I'll probably also do a throttle body sync after that to try to improve response and renew the characteristics of the bike. I'm just getting too much hesitation right now, especially when creeping along at slow speeds.

One suggestion that keeps coming up is to look at a DynoJet Power Commander, but that's a $300 investment that I am still trying to figure out if I actually need. I'm keen to reach for smoother acceleration and better throttle response, but I have no need for increased power. The Vee has more than enough kick to keep me grinning when I open the throttle, and even then I don't tend to open it up all the way or for very long. I'm a bit of an old man already.

Who knows, I might even wash the Vee this year...

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhceOTvFp_GzL1679FXhXv6-jNoS-e9MJLP23gY8H9Tp-Zb7iLIgylUpyQBcMb_pYE_BkzPeX_X-NCAj43Bf-ns0TC0tUmQ5TA6ppTaExNdy8zubPCrhcQzm71lNgFCfsBRcrLUNZkvR4_5/s1152/PHOTO_20130126_171924.jpg

Oddly enough, the hesitation was due not to some mechanical failure from the powertrain, but a failing drive chain. As the chain began to wear and stretch, it became difficult to transition from straight to bent, putting additional strain on the engine, feeling as if the engine were going to stall. Replacing the chain and sprockets took care of the issue, and returned better fuel economy as well. 

No comments: